Center City Saturday features art talks, hands-on activities, live demonstrations and holiday shopping
Join members of First Friday Art Walk for a fun, free, family-friendly holiday-themed event, 1-5 p.m. Dec. 19 in the Downtown Arts District. Start out with lunch at one of our incredible downtown restaurants, and then enjoy a day of art talks and demonstrations, hands-on activities, shopping, socializing and tasty holiday treats. View the Dec. 19 Center City Saturday E-newsletter or view and print the Dec. 19 Center City Saturday Map
Still haven’t found the perfect gift for that certain someone? Give the gift that’s as unique as they are: original art! From paintings and pottery to jewelry, sculpture and blown glass, the Downtown Art District has it all.
Center City Saturday Events
• Fitzwilly’s Gifts & Antiques, 308 South Ave., is conducting a Holiday Sale during Center City Saturday, offering discounts on all Christmas items. Check out Fitzwilly’s unique gifts and charming selection of antiques and collectibles. Also, enjoy Reflections of Tuscany, plus collages and scenes of the Ozarks by local artist Charli Stout.
• Fresh Gallery, located at the southwest corner of Campbell and Walnut, offers a Holiday Open House featuring live art demonstrations and hands-on activities for all ages, plus ginger cookies and warm cider. Enjoy “Hay Day,” a new children’s book by December Featured Artist and author Karen W. Schneider. See the newest additions to the gallery, including pottery, fused glass and stained glass, as well as hand-crafted Christmas ornaments and holiday cards by various local artists, including December Featured Artist Karla Breeding Trammell.
• Global Fayre, 324 S Campbell, presents an artist’s talk by Photographer James Radke 3-4 p.m., focusing on his photography and especially his amazing Springfield images. Then join Scott Thomas 4-5 p.m. to learn about didgeridoos and play one yourself! Global Fayre features handcrafted, fairly traded art objects, clothing, jewelry, toys and more from all over the world, including beautiful holiday decorations and gifts. There will be coffee and cookies for all!
• Good Girl Art Gallery, 325 E. Walnut St., Ste. 101, invites visitors to enjoy free personalized handmade ornaments by Artist Jesse Cox plus holiday refreshments and art by December Featured Artist Christopher Mostyn.
• Park Central Branch Library will host a free Holiday Movie Marathon on the big screen, plus enjoy its exhibit of Photography by Corey Brown.
• Randy Bacon Photography and Figment Art Gallery in the Monarch Art Factory, 600 W. College St., presents Art Transforms, featuring 35 original banners designed by MSU students and REEL LIVES, featuring Randy Bacon’s breathtaking portraits from his journeys with Convoy of Hope. Stop by for great art and free refreshments.
• Springfield Hot Glass Studio, 314 S. Campbell Ave., presents live glassblowing demonstrations by glass master Terry Bloodworth and crew. See Terry’s unique hand-blown Christmas ornaments, as well as a selection of art objects, fused glass, and torchwork bead jewelry.
• Springfield Pottery, 416 S. Campbell Ave., presents a special Holiday Pottery Sale featuring discounts on work by its artists in residence and Springfield Pottery interns. Don’t miss this opportunity to own beautiful, functional and whimsical works by skilled ceramic artists.
• Chic Chick, 400 E. Walnut, Suite 100, presents its Holiday Open House. We will be featuring 25 percent off everything in the store and 70 percent off clearance items. There will also be refreshments and free gift wrapping!
The Downtown Arts District has something for everyone, from fine art and delicious dining to one-of-a-kind shops, cutting-edge fashion and live entertainment. Don’t miss First Friday Art Walk, 6-10 p.m. Jan. 1, and plan now to join us for our next Center City Saturday, 1-5 p.m. Jan. 16!